Wednesday, March 26, 2008

#28

In theory the GTD system works. And probably works in practice as well. It seems to be comprised of some basic theories that most people probably instinctively know. I found it interesting that in the Process section he mentions to never put anything back into "in" yet a few lines down it is mentioned that if the item is not something that you can do right away that you should "defer it." Well to me, that is practically the same thing. When I defer something in my email for later, I usually mark the item as not yet read, so that I will remember to go back, read it again, and accomplish whatever is necessary.

As backward as it may seem, I keep track of my appointments, projects, and all sorts of other stuff in a general old, write it down, take it with me, calendar. It seems to work for me. I have on occasion looked into using the online calendars and list makers but half the time it seems asinine to me. If you do not have an online accessible device with you at all times, you can only access it when you are near a computer. Otherwise you will have to print out your list or calendar...which is pretty much the same as having a paper/written calendar anyways.
At the same time, I do like some of the features of online calendars like pop-up reminders and such. I may try to use the google calendar a little bit and see how I like it.
As for now, I organize with my calendar and as things come up I prioritize by what seems to have the most importance, the earliest "due date," or whatever someone I may be working with needs done the most.

No comments: